MONTHLY SHOW BENCH COMPETITION
Categories and Sections (Up to 5 entries per person per section)
Category A: Flowers
- Flower of the Month (see list below)
- One Rose (Stem to be 15cm above container)
- One stem of any other flower (ie. Not a Rose)
- One stem of foliage (no flowers or flower buds)
Category B: Floral Art
- Any floral arrangement in water
Category C: Container
- Container of flowering shrub in flower (one variety – eg. Camellias or Dahlias)
- Potted plant (including Cacti or Succulent)
Category D: Garden Produce (details below)
- Above-ground Vegetable eg. Peas, silverbeet, pumpkin, rhubarb
- Below-ground Vegetable eg.
Beetroot, carrots, leeks, parsnips, potatoes
- Herbs (flowering or non-flowering)
- Fruits and nuts eg. Lemons, apples, tomatoes, berries, walnuts
OF THE MONTH
Flower of the month
Container of Dahlias
Container of Chrysanthemums
Container of Autumn flowers
One stem of Australian Native flower
Three different Camellias
Three spring bulbs
Magnolia, Lilac or Rhododendron
One stem of Iris
Container of Roses
REQUIREMENTS FOR CATEGORY D – GARDEN PRODUCE
Vegetables: Numbers required for an exhibit.
5 Artichokes (Globe & Jerusalem), Asparagus, Beans, Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms, Peas (Pods, Sugar, Snow), Peppers (chilli), Radishes, Rhubarb stalks, Silverbeet stalks, Spinach plants, Spring Onions.
Beetroot, Capsicums, Carrots, Garlic, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Salad (Greenhead), Salsify, Squash (baby), Sweet Corn, Turnips, Witlof, Zucchini.
1 Broccoli (head), Cabbage, Cauliflower (head), Celeriac, Celery (head),
Cucumber, Egg Plant, Lettuce (head) Marrow, Pumpkin, Squash.
Note: Vegetables should be free from excessive soil, insect or mechanical damage and of even size and colour.
Fruit: Numbers required for an exhibit.
10 berries: Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Gooseberries, Loganberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Youngberries.
3 Any other fruit including Tomatoes.
Nuts: Numbers required for an exhibit.
5 Almonds, Chestnuts, Hazelnuts, Walnuts etc.
Rules for Monthly showbench.
- Points awarded 1st = 3 points, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point. (totalled at end of year)
- All exhibits must be grown by the exhibitor, except flowers/foliage in Floral Art category.
grown plants must have been in your possession for at least four months.
- Place name cards with your name on, face down in front of the container/exhibit.
- Container must be clean and all stems must be in water.
- When a flower is “flower
of the month” it must be displayed in one section only.
- Up to 5 entries per person per section.
- Place flowers so they face the judge. A small piece of packing such as paper or moss can be placed in the top of the container to
stabilise the stem.
- Entries to be placed prior to 9.30 am ready to be judged.
- Anything not on the schedule will be for display only.
- One entry will be selected as Best exhibit each month. (no additional points for this)
schedule (July 2014) supersedes all previous ones and applies only to the Warragul & District Garden Club monthly competition.
- The decision of the judge is final.
An award will be made to the most successful
exhibitor each year and prizes given for the most successful exhibitor in each category.